AMETIST: Advanced III-V Materials and Processes Enabling Ultrahigh-efficiency Photovoltaics
Solar cells convert sunlight into electricity utilizing the photovoltaic effect. AMETIST project targets to maximize the conversion efficiency by advancing the frontier in material science and optoelectronics technology.
- Funded by H2020 EXCELLENT SCIENCE European Research Council (ERC) program
- Based on novel GaInNAsSb and GaNAsBi heterostructures with absorption in the spectral range from 0.7 eV to 1.4 eV
- Tandem cells with more than 4 junctions fabricated by molecular beam epitaxy (MBE)
- 50% efficiency target under concentrated terrestrial light
- >35% efficiency target for space operation
- Nanophotonic solutions for light-trapping, spectral, and spatial control of solar radiation