AMETIST: Advanced III-V Materials and Processes Enabling Ultrahigh-efficiency Photovoltaics
Solar cells convert sunlight into electricity utilizing the photovoltaic effect. AMETIST project targets to maximize the conversion efficiency by advancing the frontier in material science and optoelectronics technology. ORC web page.
- Funded by H2020 EXCELLENT SCIENCE European Research Council (ERC) program
- Based on novel GaInNAsSb and GaNAsBi heterostructures with absorption in the spectral range from 0.7 eV to 1.4 eV
- Tandem cells with more than 4 junctions fabricated by molecular beam epitaxy (MBE)
- 50% efficiency target under concentrated terrestrial light
- >35% efficiency target for space operation
- Nanophotonic solutions for light-trapping, spectral, and spatial control of solar radiation