The advanced data driven business models (for example, pay-per-X type business models) have been previously used and implemented in other fields, especially software and B2C sectors (Xerox, Washing Machines, cloud storage services etc.). There is only little current research of the use of advanced data driven business models (especially, pay-per-X type business models) in manufacturing companies especially in investment product manufacturing companies. SNOBI project aims to enable the transformation towards novel business models. SNOBI project aims to enable the transformation towards novel business models. In SNOBI project we study how advanced technologies such as IIoT based technologies, Machine Learning, additive manufacturing and others can enable the transformation of traditional business models to advanced PPX type business models.
Primary research question of the SNOBI Project is:
How to design and implement the systematic transformation process from traditional business models to advanced PPX type business models in investment product manufacturing SME equipment companies?
Project focuses on the following sub-questions:
• How can investment product manufacturing SME equipment companies make use of the IIOT enabled novel advanced BMs (PPX type business models)?
• How can IIOT enabled ML/knowledge-based Data Analytics be used to support the development of advanced PPX business models for investment product manufacturing SME equipment companies?
• What kind of requirements do the advanced PPX business models and IIOT enabled ML/knowledge-based data analytics create for the implementation of the automation systems in investment product manufacturing SME equipment companies?
• What kind of competences (technical and strategic) are needed to implement the advanced PPX business models in investment product manufacturing SME equipment companies?
The project will proceed in five steps:
1. Problems and development needs of the current business models
2. Drivers and enabling technologies to new business models
3. Needed new competences towards advanced PPX business models
4. Roadmap design and implementation towards advanced PPX business models
5. Experiments – Design and execution for the implementation of advanced PPX business models This will allow both the researchers and the industrial partners to form an understanding of the current situation and then build a roadmap for the future, with experiments verifying the chosen approaches.
SNOBI project has a significant impact on the Finnish SMEs businesses by helping them go through the transformation towards advanced PPX business models using the frameworks, roadmaps and technical solutions developed in this project. SNOBI project will allow the participating companies as well as other Finnish SMEs to implement the advanced PPX business models and gain an access to new markets, create a constant cash flow for their business and eventually lead to increased internationalization. Research community will benefit from the results of the project because the integration of advanced technologies and advanced PPX business models has not been done previously and the frameworks and roadmaps will allow the research community to take the research towards PPX business models implementation further.
Business Finland Co-Innovation project. The overall consortium budget is 4.2M€ and Tampere University’s research project budget is 1.037M€.
Partners and co-operators
Tampere University (Unit of Information and Knowledge management (IKM) and Mechatronics Research Group (MRG)). Partners include West Virginia University (USA), Kristiania University College (Norway) and Copenhagen Business School (Denmark), as well as five Finnish companies in the machine building and automation sector (Beckhoff Automation Oy, Pemamek Oy, Elematic Oyj, Tamturbo Oy, Ginolis Oy).